Monday, December 14, 2009

Ham Night 2

As you know from last night, I ventured out and made my first ham. Now I have tons of ham so I am trying to think of fun ways to eat it for the next few days. Tonight I thought of ham turn overs very easy when you have a bunch of ham on hand! First I started by cutting all of the nasty fat off the ham. I did lost some ham in the process but I feel like it is worth it for my arteries. I cut up all of the fat free ham into tiny pieces and mixed it with 2 oz. room temperature cream cheese. {You do not have to use room temperature cream cheese but if you choose to use the cold stuff plan on an arm workout!} I then added about 2 cups colby cheese mixture and mixed my heart out.

The cream cheese or some creamy cheese like brie is helpful so everything will kind of stick together. Next I got to work on the bread part of the turn over. You could really use any type of bread such as pizza dough, biscuits, or puff pastry. I chose crescent rolls because we had those and the fridge and Ryan really likes them. I rolled them out with my fancy new Martha Stewart rolling pin and some waxed paper. {which really is a must because if not then you will be picking dough off your rolling pin for days}


I placed the rolled out dough on a baking sheet and put it in the fridge to firm up for easy filling. Next comes the actual turn over part of my little creations


I filled the turn overs with the ham mixture {this is where is cream cheese helps hold everything together so it doesn't spill all over your pan}. Then I pushed the seams together so they would not loose all of the filling to the pan while in the oven. Bake for 13 minutes at 375. And there is no cooked picture because Ryan walked in the door when they were finished and I forgot before they were gone. I did bake some banana nut mini muffins for dessert. To add to our ham we also have about 5 bananas that are going bad and I don't want to throw them away.


These were perfect to satisfy my extra large sweet tooth. Ryan and I watched Julie and Julia which was perfect for my cooking night! Stay tuned for cheesy potato and ham soup tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. Carly I feel so jealous that you can cook...when I read about one of your cooking adventures it makes me want to try them! I am a terrible cook though so it's probably best that I don't try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I wish you'd invite me over for dinner and that you didn't hate me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not hate you! I wish you could just drive on over for dinner anytime! Also will you be here in Lexington on Sunday?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, I know - just teasing :). P.S. I just read your latest blog and I want a fun late wedding present of the sorts! :). I'm not sure if I'll still be there on Sunday....that's a strong possibility though!

    ReplyDelete